The student news site of Hickory Grove Christian School
  • November 30Money and form for pizza lunch on the 8th and 15th are due Friday, Dec 2

• November 30JV and Varsity basketball teams will play at home on Friday, December 9 on Christmas Sweater Night

Elementary students make butterflies to bless cancer patients

Brandy Caton

Mrs. Thompson's 2nd grade class show their beautiful and encouraging butterflies during Mrs. Cuthbertson's art class.

Brandy Caton, Adviser

Erica Parkerson, former morning show host of 91.9 FM, recently asked elementary’s art teacher Michelle Cuthbertson for help keeping a promise to a cancer patient who called into the show one morning and touched her life forever; an inspiring woman who recently passed away named Tammy Powell.

Parkerson needed our students to create hand-made butterflies for people with cancer in order to bring them the hope of life and resurrection that they represent as a continuation of the ministry begun by Powell called Butterfly Hugs.

Cuthbertson’s classes made boxes full of beautiful butterflies with encouraging words and scripture.

Mrs. Thompson's 2nd grade class show their beautiful and encouraging butterflies they made during Mrs. Cuthbertson's art class.

Mrs. Thompson’s 2nd grade class show their beautiful and encouraging butterflies they made during Mrs. Cuthbertson’s art class.

On the website, Parkerson describes Powell’s unbelievable faith despite living with cancer:

“Tammy understood life:  love God and tell everyone about His love, help others, be a friend, marvel at God’s creation, hold tightly to hope… like a child gripping her Daddy’s hand.

She inspired an entire city to look up, to know that there is a God, Who never ceases to be good, that heaven is her real home; that joy in life can be found no matter what you are going through.  What a gift to a broken, confused, hurting world.

To her last breath, Tammy believed that nothing was impossible with God.”

For more information about this faithful woman and her ministry to pass on hope to cancer patients, go to www.butterflyhugs.org.

A photo from the Butterfly Hugs website

A photo from the Butterfly Hugs website